Monday, October 5, 2009

One Year Later.... How am I doing? Learning to Trust God

I decided to take a look back in time one year ago. Sometimes I like to do that. I am consistently amazed when I do this and I can see now how God was so completely at work in my life but I could not see it at all back then. One year ago during October God had begun moving me towards trusting Him more. I had always trusted but not to this degree. It is easy to trust God when your life is fine and dandy. It is much harder when everything is falling apart and you may not even have a home anymore. So I looked back a year ago and I was having to learn trust.

First, I cannot even begin to imagine what my family's life and my own personal life would be like right now if I gave up on God. It would have been so easy to do it, to just give up and say forget you. Many people give up on God because things don't turn around quick enough, we had to go through 2 years of complete uncertainty. 2 years is a LONG time. I am so glad He kept us.

Second, do I trust now? How am I doing with that? I know there are higher levels I must attain but my ability to first trust God has been greatly amplified. How you may ask? Well, a good ole fashioned concordance study in the back of the bible on trust is always an excellent place to start. It is always incredible how much we can learn about a subject by doing a concordance study on it and writing down what the scriptures say into note form and then studying them by note form and by scripture. Amazing. Second, God just plainly spoke to me that I was going to have to learn to trust him and be happy before things got better so I knew I was going to have to do this quickly and do it right and mean it. Thirdly, I just had to stand on who I am in Christ. I have all the scriptures that say who we are in Christ in my sidebar by the way in statement form. I just would read these aloud every day and began to be able to memorize them. When I would get upset I would say to myself and/or aloud who I am in Christ. I would also pray a lot or just talk to God many times throughout the day. I built a better friendship with God. Isn't it just much easier to trust someone you really really know? Fourthly I just had to begin to practice what I was learning & rely on His strength to do it.

It really hit me hard when I heard Beth Moore say that wherever your mind is spewing worry, that is where you do not trust God. So, knowing that God directly told me that I needed to trust him, I was not going to be able to let myself worry anymore. Very difficult to do when you are in the middle of complete chaos I might say. But, when I would begin to worry, I cast my cares upon him and prayed like no body's business and stood on who he said I was. I knew from studying trust what it meant, why we needed to do it and all that it entails. I just had to do it.

Did those four things work for me? Absolutely YES!!!! It totally worked and I do trust God. I do not always understand God, but I trust him. I used to wonder sometimes what it meant to have the peace of God that surpasses all understanding. I think I have learned much of what that means. It is amazing! God is amazing and if we would just let him love us like he wants to...... oh how wonderful it would all be if we could all just surrender all to Him.

Well, Mr. Braxton needs my attention & so does the laundry. I have to take lots of breaks with my foot or it hurts from hobbling around so I am playing Farmville on Facebook now and Farkle. They are lots of fun and keep me from losing my mind with this dumb broken foot.....Hope all of you are well also. Isn't this Fall weather amazing??? LOVE IT.

Jenn

1 comment:

Heart2Heart said...

Jennifer,

This is a great testimony to just how keeping our faith focused as much as we can will ultimately work out for the good of God not necessarily ours. We found ourselves very much in the same situation as you and that was the only thing we could look to was God. His word promises that He will take care of our daily needs. We on the other hand like to worry days or weeks or even months ahead, but God never said He would work that far out and neither should we.

So thankful that like you, we can look back and see the blessings He gave us based on that time of obedience and challenge. We emerged stronger in our faith and able to help others in the very same situations prevail as well.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat